Pursuing Fearless by Living in the Present
with Karen Santos McCloud
In this episode, Jessi discusses balancing two passions: running a business and being a mother, with optometrist Karen Santos McCloud. Seeking understanding she would never get from male owners with stay-at-home wives, Karen decided to open her own practice. She and Jessi talk through battles with perfectionism and staff decisions.
- Being a female-run, independent optometry office is no joke! It can be a headache sometimes, but it is rewarding.
- Wanting to do a job to the best of your abilities and striving for perfection.
- Deciding when to bring new people into the workforce. The hard part is finding someone who feels the same way as you.
- The intimacy of working in a small team and feeling like family versus a corporate job.
- Business ownership is so personal it feels like a third child.
- How a pandemic can affect a small business versus a corporate business, how a wrench thrown in the cog can really get in the way of business operations.
- A testament to the strength of her marriage, riding the highs and lows of opening two businesses and kids.
- Being a mother. If you keep your eye only on the future, you risk missing the little things.