Pursuing Fearless by Developing Connection
with Donna Gambrell
Donna Gambrell did not begin her career with a desire to work in finance. But, she developed a passion for community development and found her niche in CDFI funds. She uses her voice, even after retirement, to help small businesses in Appalachia gain access to capital and resources needed to build a thriving community.
- Developing a rich work history – starting as a writer/editor, working to rebuild after the impact of hurricane Katrina, Director of US Treasury for CDFI funds, retirement then back into the workforce.
- Growing up in a household with no foundations in financial management drew Donna to the financial industry.
- How the catastrophe of hurricane Katrina helped Donna find her passions in community development.
- A discussion about the differences between a bank and a CDFI.
- Continuing to do good work post-retirement for a community in the form of stepping in as CEO for the Appalachian Community Capital.
- Growing a small business and knowing when it is time for the next right step.
- Donna giving her younger self advice – 1. Take more risks 2. Understand sexism is very real in the workplace 3. As a woman of color there will always be barriers.