Pursuing Fearless by Claiming Your Worth
with Jennifer Reis
Jessi chats with artist and professor Jennifer A. Reis about knowing (and charging) your value, finding your true north and fearlessly chasing relationships and opportunities. She also spends some time on overcoming imposter syndrome.
- Deciding when to say no, when to say yes and sticking to your true north.
- Step 1: Create a list of who you want to connect with. Step 2: Go after them fearlessly and unapologetically.
- Push boundaries to get what you want, “If the door is unanswered the first time, you knock on it. Maybe you step back. You do some thinking, and maybe you go through the garage the next time.”
- There are multiple entry points. If you really want something, don’t get discouraged if it doesn’t work the first time.
- Know your value. Set your rate knowing your self-worth, time spent and your expertise.
- Women have a tendency to undervalue themselves, coupled with the arts industry already being undervalued, and it is easy to sell yourself short.
- The power of your network, how to grow it, how to nurture it. Grow it in a way that isn’t just transactional, but relational.
- Al Smith Individual Artist Fellowship
- Kentucky Arts Council
- John C Campbell Folk School
- Americans for the Arts
- Make Me Smart
- How I Built This
- Getting Things Done by David Allen
- Art Thinking by Amy Whitaker
- The Conquer Kit by Natalie MacNeil
- Accounting for the Numberphobic by Dawn Fotopulos
- Side Hustle: From Idea to Income in 27 Days by Chris Guillebeau