Pursing Fearless with Advocacy Through Filmmaking
with Shaylan Clark
In this episode, Jessi chats with Shaylan Clark, a filmmaker with a passion for advocacy. Shaylan believes in justice for those who have been previously marginalized and uses her talent to bring awareness to causes like black lung and poverty in Appalachia.
- Shaylan’s path to filmmaking – starting with theater and speech team, then really kicking off after getting into the Appalachian Media Institute.
- Taking stories of Eastern Appalachia and trying to give them justice by telling them in their truest form.
- Talking on the resiliency of people from small towns in Appalachia. And how that is a double edge sword.
- How Shaylan uses filmmaking to advocate for causes like black lung and poverty in Appalachia.
- A conversation between Jessi and Shaylan about the changes in entering the creative industry and how it still comes down to your network.
- Shaylan’s involvement with Sexy Sex Ed and helping to advocate for better sex education options, abortion rights and LGTBQ+ rights.
- Higher Ground
- Appalachian Media Institute
- Rural Urban Exchange
- Kertis Creative
- Sexy Sex Ed
- Small Doses by Amanda Seals
- Just Breakup podcast
- Trillbilly Worker’s Party
- Sleep With Me podcast