Pursing Fearless by Listening & Trusting Community
with Lora Smith
In this episode, Jessi talks with Lora Smith from Foundation for Appalachian Kentucky. Lora is an expert in philanthropy and believes in the power of community. Find out about her approach to philanthropy and how foundations have shifted and evolved throughout her career.
- Lora’s journey in philanthropy and learning from the great Gladys Washington.
- How listening first and trusting the community are major leads in the approach in philanthropy.
- Pulling back the layers of how community foundations and philanthropy works.
- Talking on working in all female teams and differences in female leadership, focusing on building long term relationships versus transactional ones.
- People still operating under negative mental models with the notion that Central and Eastern Appalachia is dying and the infrastructure isn’t there.
- A shift in how foundations have evolved to align their missions with the money they grant.
- Money. The shame that comes from talking about it and having the tough conversations that need to be had.
- Communities still surviving and giving back even through Covid and the flooding that happened in Eastern Kentucky this year.
- Where Should We Begin by Esther Perrel
- On Being
- Sex, Death & Money podcast by Anna Sale
- Let’s Talk About Hard Things by Anna Sale
- Lora’s current fav Spotify playlist, Jesu Joy and Hope of Man Radio