Pursing Fearless by Keeping it Local
with Kristin Smith
In this episode, Jessi talks with Kristin Smith, owner and executive chef of the Wrigley Taproom in Corbin, Kentucky. She shares her experience as both a sixth generation farmer and business owner. Her restaurant, now a staple within her community, gave her the opportunity to dream big but stay rooted.
- As a sixth generation farmer, Kristin and her family have always centered their lives around food.
- Returning home due to her grandfather’s illness and feeling haunted by the possible decision of selling the farm because she did not want it to end with her generation.
- Learning from her grandfather, grandmother and mother, then teaching herself the rest–all while holding on to the mission of farm to table dining and keeping dollars in the local economy.
- Seeing a surprise in change of tolerance in Eastern Kentucky regarding equality and opening up the table to a lot of different people.
- Setting up a healthy work environment and taking care of your team.
- Business lessons learned – you don’t always need business partners.